Adjusted to 2014 dollars: The median U.S. household income in 1995 was $52,933, with families spending 20.1% of their income on public university ($10,628 sticker price, annually) or 50% on private university ($26,487 sticker price, annually).
Also in 1995...
- Mississippi ratifies the 13th Amendment, becoming the last state to approve the abolition of slavery
- 168 people are killed in a bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oaklahoma City
- Space Shuttle Atlantis docks with the Russian Mir space station for the first time
- The DVD, an optical disc computer storage media format, is announced
- eBay is founded as a website to buy and sell Pez dispensers
- O.J. Simpson is found not guilty of double murder
- Founding member of The Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia, dies
- The Million Man March is held in Washington, D.C.
- The first full length computer animated feature film, "Toy Story," is released
- Lady Diana and Prince Charles file for divorce
- The final original "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip is published
- "Braveheart" wins Best Picture
- The #1 song of 1995 is "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio featuring L.V.
Pick a year: