Adjusted to 2014 dollars: The median U.S. household income in 2000 was $57,726, with families spending 20% of their income on public university ($11,548 sticker price, annually) or 53.1% on private university ($30,692 sticker price, annually).
Also in 2000...
Pick a year:
- America Online purchases Time Warner for $162 billion, the largest-ever corporate merger
- The final "Peanuts" comic strip is published, following the death Charles Schulz
- Vladimir Putin is elected President of Russia
- Millennium Force opens at Cedar Point, the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster
- "Dora the Explorer" debuts on Nickelodeon
- USS Cole is badly damaged by two Al-Qaeda suicide bombers
- Legendary MAD Magazine cartoonist Don Martin dies
- A naked man, Richard Hatch, wins $1,000,000 in the first season of CBS's Survivor
- The U.S. Supreme Court stops the Florida presidential recount, George W. Bush becomes President
- "Gladiator" wins Best Picture
- Song of the year, "Smooth" by Santana (featuring Rob Thomas) spends 12 weeks at #1