Bridge Book Club to discuss ‘Wounds’ in September
Our bimonthly Bridge Book Club returns in September with a collaborative memoir from two Michigan authors.
Bridge Book Club’s September selection is “Wounds” by Razel Jones and Daniel Abbott, and we’re honored they both will join us to discuss their memoir about the triumphs and the pains experienced in Jones and Abbott's collective journey toward cross-cultural navigation. Jones and Abbott explore the concepts of race and difference through stories beginning with their youthful experiences in rural northwestern Michigan.
Grab your lunch and join Bridge Book Club for a discussion of the book on Zoom from noon to 1 p.m on Friday, September 24. You’ll have an opportunity to submit questions for Jones and Abbott during the event and on our registration form.
To be invited to participate in this discussion, please complete this event registration form and we’ll email you a calendar invitation with the Zoom link to join.
Here’s our schedule
- Book announced: August 16
- First discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: September 3
- Second discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: September 10
- Third discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: September 17
- Live Zoom discussion: Noon to 1 pm September 24
How to get the book
For Bridge Club members, we will provide an e-version of the selected book as a membership benefit. If you’re not already a member, join today for as little as $1 and support our nonprofit newsroom. Members will be sent a link via email from Membership Director Amber DeLind to redeem their free book.
- Watch Bridge Book Club talk on 'Firekeeper's Daughter' with Angeline Boulley
- Watch Bridge Book Club talk on 'The Death and Life of the Great Lakes'
- Watch Bridge Book Club talk on 'Annie's Ghosts' with author Steve Luxenberg
- Watch our 'Black Bottom Saints' Bridge Book Club chat with author Alice Randall
- Watch the Bridge Book Club discussion of 'The Women of the Copper Country'
For those who are not Bridge Club members, would like to borrow the book, or would prefer a physical copy, you have other options. You can order “Wounds” directly from the publisher, or download it from a Michigan library system to an e-reader or smartphone via Libby. The book may also be available for order from local bookstores, some of whom are offering curbside pickup. Call your local bookstore to inquire.
How to take part in the online discussion
To participate throughout the month in our weekly discussions, please join our closed Facebook group by clicking here. Bridge staff will approve your membership in this closed group.
Each week in September, we will post several discussion questions about a section of chapters and group members will be invited to interact with our team and with one another.
Participation in these weekly discussions is not required to participate in the Zoom discussion.
We’ve been there for you with daily Michigan COVID-19 news; reporting on the emergence of the virus, daily numbers with our tracker and dashboard, exploding unemployment, and we finally were able to report on mass vaccine distribution. We report because the news impacts all of us. Will you please donate and help us reach our goal of 15,000 members in 2021?