‘Firekeeper’s Daughter’ author talks to Bridge Book Club in July
Just in time to enjoy some summer reading, Bridge Book Club is back. This time, we’re reading a celebrated novel by a debut Michigan author.
Bridge Book Club’s July selection is “Firekeeper’s Daughter” by Angeline Boulley, and we’re honored she will join us to discuss this exciting book. “Firekeeper's Daughter” is a groundbreaking YA thriller about an Ojibwe teen who must root out the corruption in her Sault Ste Marie community. Published this year, it was an instant #1 New York Times bestseller and will soon be adapted by Netflix for TV.
Grab your lunch and join Bridge Book Club for a discussion of the book on Zoom from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m on July 27. You’ll have an opportunity to submit questions for Boulley during the event.
Here’s our schedule
- Book announced: June 17
- First discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: July 9
- Second discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: July 16
- Third discussion post on Bridge book club closed Facebook group: July 23
- Live Zoom discussion: 12:00 to 1:00 pm July 27
To be invited to participate in this discussion, please complete this form and we’ll email you a calendar invitation with the link to join.
How to get the book
For Bridge Club members, we will provide an e-version of the selected book as a membership benefit. If you’re not already a member, join today for as little as $1 and support our nonprofit newsroom. Members will be sent a link via email from Membership Director Amber DeLind to redeem their free book.
For those who are not Bridge Club members, would like to borrow the book, or would prefer a physical copy, you have other options. You can order “Firekeeper’s Daughter” directly from the publisher, or download it from a Michigan library system to an e-reader or smartphone via Libby. The book may also be available for order from local bookstores, some of whom are offering curbside pickup. Call your local bookstore to inquire.
- Watch Bridge Book Club talk on 'The Death and Life of the Great Lakes'
- Watch Bridge Book Club talk on 'Annie's Ghosts' with author Steve Luxenberg
- Watch our 'Black Bottom Saints' Bridge Book Club chat with author Alice Randall
- Watch the Bridge Book Club discussion of 'The Women of the Copper Country'
- Miss Bridge Michigan's 'Arc of Justice' book club chat? Here's the video
- Missed ‘Fannie Davis’ book club discussion? Watch the video
How to take part in the online discussion
To participate throughout the month in our weekly discussions, please join our closed Facebook group by clicking here. Bridge staff will approve your membership in this closed group.
Each week in July, we will post several discussion questions about a section of chapters and group members will be invited to interact with our team and with one another.
Participation in these weekly discussions is not required to participate in the Zoom discussion.
We’ve been there for you with daily Michigan COVID-19 news; reporting on the emergence of the virus, daily numbers with our tracker and dashboard, exploding unemployment, and we finally were able to report on mass vaccine distribution. We report because the news impacts all of us. Will you please donate and help us reach our goal of 15,000 members in 2021?