"The knowledge of yourself will preserve you from vanity" -- Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish novelist, poet and playwright.
* If you are wanting to start the new year in a sunny frame of mind do NOT read Joseph Stiglitz's piece in Vanity Fair this month. If you DO want to learn some important points about the state of the U.S. economy, you cannot afford to skip his piece:
* The Kellogg Foundation is backing a group in the Upper Peninsula that wants to help family owned businesses.
* Michigan State beat Michigan on the football field in 2010 and 2011, but for the 2010-11 athletic year, Michigan far outdistanced the Spartans when it came to money. Crain's Detroit reports on just how profitable U-M and MSU athletics were that year.
* Columnist Stephen A. Jones says America's dysfunctional political culture could use a good stiff dose of honesty ... about how we worship money above all else.
* A proposed underwater sanctuary would cover more than 150 square miles under the waves of Lake Michigan.