Land O Links
"Poverty and lack of knowledge must be challenged" -- Russell Simmons, American music entrepreneur and philanthropist.
* This New Yorker piece lays out a case for having national chains take over American health care, thereby ensuring consistent quality. Marianne Udow-Phillips of the Center for Healthcare Research and Transformation in Ann Arbor wrote in Bridge recently about the positive effects from health-care consolidation in Michigan:
* Plastic waste isn't just a problem for the world's oceans. The Great Lakes suffer with it, too, "led" by Lake Erie:
* Maps showing the state or regulatory play on "fracking" -- the process of fracturing geologic formations to help release natural gas or oil:
* Michiganians, and the rest of planet Earth, should get accustomed to a new normal when it comes to summer temperatures and extreme weather, argues a group of scientists studying climate trends:
* A quick overview of what other states are doing on performance-based funding for higher education. Performance-based funding has come up as an issue in Michigan, as Bridge reported last winter.
See what new members are saying about why they donated to Bridge Michigan:
- “In order for this information to be accurate and unbiased it must be underwritten by its readers, not by special interests.” - Larry S.
- “Not many other media sources report on the topics Bridge does.” - Susan B.
- “Your journalism is outstanding and rare these days.” - Mark S.
If you want to ensure the future of nonpartisan, nonprofit Michigan journalism, please become a member today. You, too, will be asked why you donated and maybe we'll feature your quote next time!