College costs: 1975
Adjusted to 2014 dollars: The median U.S. household income in 1975 was $51,923, with families spending 14.2% of their income on public university ($7,938 sticker price, annually) or 31.7% on private university $16,475 sticker price, annually).
Also in 1975...
- John Mitchell, H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman are found guilty of the Watergate cover-up.
- Wheel of Fortune premiers on NBC
- The Rocky Horror Show opens on Broadway, and closes after 45 performances
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen found Microsoft in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Teamsters Union president Jimmy Hoffa is reported missing
- Fugitive Patty Hearst is captured in San Francisco
- Muhammad Ali defeats Joe Frazier in a boxing match in Manila, Philippines
- Peter Gabriel departs Genesis, and is replaced on lead vocals by drummer Phil Collins
- "The Godfather Part II" wins Best Picture
- "Love Will Keep Us Together," by The Captain and Tennille is the #1 song
Pick a year:
We’ve been there for you with daily Michigan COVID-19 news; reporting on the emergence of the virus, daily numbers with our tracker and dashboard, exploding unemployment, and we finally were able to report on mass vaccine distribution. We report because the news impacts all of us. Will you please support our nonprofit newsroom?