Adjusted to 2014 dollars: The median U.S. household income in 1990 was $54,235, with families spending 16.6% of their income on public university ($9,030 sticker price, annually) or 44.3% on private university ($24,049 sticker price, annually).
Also in 1990...
- General Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces in Panama
- The first McDonald's opens in the Soviet Union (they will get a Pizza Hut later the same year)
- Nelson Mandela is released after 27 years behind bars
- Exxon and its shipping company are indicted on criminal charges stemming from the Exxon Valdez oil spill
- The Hubble Space Telescope is launched aboard Space Shuttle Discovery
- The World Health Organization removes homosexuality from its list of diseases
- JK Rowling begins writing "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"
- Iraq invades Kuwait, eventually leading to the Gulf War
- Tim Berners-Lee begins his work on the World Wide Web, and soon after the first known web page is written at CERN - See it here
- "Driving Miss Daisy" wins best picture
- The #1 song of 1990 was "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips
Pick a year: