Join Bridge Michigan for November event on state population issues
- Join Bridge Michigan and partners for a discussion about potential solutions for the state’s population woes on Nov. 14 at noon.
- Reporter Ron French will moderate a discussion with community leaders about the findings of a five-part report series from Altarum and Citizens Research Council
- To participate, register here
Bridge Michigan invites readers to join us for a free Zoom discussion from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov 14, to discuss Michigan’s stagnant population and potential solutions.
Bridge Michigan’s Ron French will moderate a panel discussion about a five-part report series from health nonprofit Altarum and Citizens Research Council about policy implications of Michigan demographic trends.
Panelists will include Imani Foster, communications and research director of education nonprofit 482Forward, Dan Gilmartin, executive director and CEO of Michigan Municipal League, Alaina Jackson, managing director of immigration nonprofit Global Detroit and Angela G. Reyes, executive director and founder of Detroit Hispanic Development Corporation.
The event comes as political leaders focus on what can be done to jump-start population in Michigan, which ranks 49th among states for growth since 1990, behind only West Virginia.
Bridge has spent the year writing articles about how the situation affects everything from the economy and health care to education and quality of life. Capitol reporters Lauren Gibbons and Jonathan Oosting recently hosted a podcast about the Citizens Research Council and Altarum report.
That study is separate from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Growing Michigan Together Council, a bipartisan group that is also exploring policy-based solutions to population woes.
How to join this live Zoom discussion
To be invited to participate in this hour-long discussion, please complete this form to receive the Zoom link for the event. You’ll receive a confirmation email that includes the event link.
- Bridge Michigan hosts May event on state population loss, demographics
- Can Michigan defuse its population time bomb? See how far we fall short
- Watch Bridge Lunch Break on Michigan population, cities and spaces
To learn more about how to join a Zoom meeting, watch this short video. Zoom is free to use, and you can use the video call function on your computer, tablet or phone, or you can call into the meeting using the conference line function.
See what new members are saying about why they donated to Bridge Michigan:
- “In order for this information to be accurate and unbiased it must be underwritten by its readers, not by special interests.” - Larry S.
- “Not many other media sources report on the topics Bridge does.” - Susan B.
- “Your journalism is outstanding and rare these days.” - Mark S.
If you want to ensure the future of nonpartisan, nonprofit Michigan journalism, please become a member today. You, too, will be asked why you donated and maybe we'll feature your quote next time!