Michigan State shooting victims: Two more students released from hospital
- Two more MSU shooting victims have been discharged from Sparrow Hospital, making three total
- It’s unclear if these students went home or to a different medical facility
- Two students remain at Sparrow 17 days after the deadly shootings
March 16: Michigan Senate OKs sweeping gun control reforms after MSU shooting
March 10: MSU shooter motive hinted at in note: ‘They made me who I am today a killer’
March 10: MSU shooting: Rampage over in 8 minutes, timeline shows
Two more Michigan State University students injured by a gunman last month have been discharged from Sparrow Hospital, Sparrow spokesperson John Foren told Bridge Michigan Friday afternoon.
It’s not clear if these students were sent home or transferred to a different medical facility.
That means that just two of the five MSU students critically injured in the Feb. 13 mass shooting remain at Sparrow, Foren confirmed. One remains in critical condition and the other is in fair condition, he said.
- MSU's long path ahead: What other universities have done after mass shootings
- From the gunfire at MSU, an emerging class of determined gun activists
- Michigan State shooting: University lacked security common on other campuses
- As Michigan boosts school security after shootings, how much is too much?
- Michigan State shooting update
- Classroom locks, active intruder training promised after MSU shootings
- MSU police can’t explain 13-minute alert gap, remain mum on shooting details
Three other MSU students died in the attack.
In addition to the two newly released students, Troy Forbush, who was shot in the chest, wrote a Facebook post Sunday saying had been discharged from Sparrow. Forbush is studying music education and vocal performance at MSU, according to his Facebook profile, and is social chair of the school’s chapter of the American Choral Directors Association.
While MSU and hospital officials are not identifying the injured students, friends and families of them have identified four of them through social media, mostly through the posting of GoFundMe accounts seeking to raise money to help the students and their families as they seek to recover.
Aside from Forbush, the identified students are:
Nate Statly, a junior from Hartland.
“Nate remains in critical condition in the NICU,” his brother, Josh Statly, wrote on GoFundMe Monday. “We are still uncertain of his prognosis, as is common with severe head trauma. He's fighting daily battles, but he's been strong through it all.”
Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez, a junior from Florida, had to have her spleen removed. The bullets also affected her lungs, colon, stomach and diaphragm, her sister Selena Huapilla-Perez wrote on GoFundMe a week after the shooting.
And John Hao, a junior from China, is paralyzed from the chest down and had his spine severed, his roommate and friend wrote on GoFundMe.
The shootings happened in Berkey Hall and the MSU Union.
Two students were killed and several injured in a classroom at Berkey Hall, while a third student was killed at the MSU Union.
See what new members are saying about why they donated to Bridge Michigan:
- “In order for this information to be accurate and unbiased it must be underwritten by its readers, not by special interests.” - Larry S.
- “Not many other media sources report on the topics Bridge does.” - Susan B.
- “Your journalism is outstanding and rare these days.” - Mark S.
If you want to ensure the future of nonpartisan, nonprofit Michigan journalism, please become a member today. You, too, will be asked why you donated and maybe we'll feature your quote next time!