Bridge Magazine Job Opening: Audience Growth/Social Media Strategist
The Center for Michigan and Bridge Magazine ‒ two-time defending Michigan Press Association Newspaper of the Year ‒ seek an Audience Growth/Social Media Strategist to develop and lead rapid and sustainable growth of our publication’s audience and impact across all distribution channels.
We’re looking for a savvy digital manager who enthusiastically does it all, from developing strategy, to coaching front-line journalists in social media and digital practice, to personally managing daily social media output.
The successful candidate will be a key collaborator across all aspects of our operation. You will work with our editorial team to identify stories that resonate with new and existing readers and develop strategies to reach a significantly larger audience of Michigan residents and leaders. You will work with our public engagement team on live and social media outreach events to expand public knowledge about politics and policy issues, fight fake news, and help lead mobile newsroom tactics in election years. You will work with senior management on digital/social media aspects of revenue growth and individual donor growth and retention.
Bridge is part of the nonprofit Center for Michigan. We are expanding our nonpartisan, fact-based journalism as daily newspapers retrench, making it critical for us to gain new and more diverse readership across our beautiful, complicated state. We’re committed to stories that hold public officials accountable and help make Michigan a better place to live, work and raise a family.
The successful candidate:
- Has a mastery of social media, analytics, metric programs and trending tools (i.e., CrowdTangle, SocialFlow, etc.) to identify the most urgent issues facing residents and institutions. You know and stay current on the latest tools, technologies, platforms and tactics that can improve Bridge journalism and engagement.
- Is well-networked within the digital/social media industry and able to efficiently manage technologies, programmers, etc., as needed to expand audience.
- Intimately understands Google AdWords, social media platforms, Facebook Live, and Facebook boosting and like campaign strategies.
- Is generous with colleagues in sharing strategies for social media and distributed platforms that advance our mission and growth. Will supportively coach journalists to more effectively market themselves and their stories.
- Has proven ability to craft or improve headlines that catch fire; a knack for SEO and how to drive potentially viral content to distinct audiences.
- Is highly organized, with proven ability to develop, schedule and track an ideal mix of content based on engagement and marketing objectives.
- Is bold, willing to take chances ‒ even fail spectacularly at times ‒ in the service of innovation and impact.
- Is comfortable with the fast-paced, deadline culture of a small, nimble newsroom.
- Embraces Bridge’s commitment to reader engagement, which includes online and community events, policy summits, traveling roadshows and the like. That includes interaction with fans and followers on social media platforms as we expand.
- Understands that, while audience growth is essential, Bridge’s mission is grounded in high-quality, evidence-based journalism that makes a difference. Wise judgment and journalistic ethics are critical.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field
- 3+ years of experience in digital content and social media. A demonstrated ability to run social media and audience engagement for a corporate or media company. Journalism background a strong plus.
- Proven ability to run an editorial calendar for social media and campaigns. Experience with management tools (such as Sprout Social or Hootsuite).
- Experience working with a wide range of digital tools and platforms, including Drupal, HTML, Photoshop, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Interest in a range of topics such as public affairs, politics, education, business and social issues. An ability to quickly learn new subjects and find unique angles to widely reported stories.
Application deadline and instructions
Applications must be electronically submitted via email to email@example.com by close of business on Nov. 15. Please include the following:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and how your experience and talents make you ideal for this position.
- Links to your active social media accounts
- A candid summary of your general impressions of Bridge’s online and social media presence and engagement and how they might be improved.
- Resume and references.
We want to fill this full-time position by January 2018. This position requires in-person, online, and phone collaboration with Bridge reporting teams in Ann Arbor, Detroit and Lansing, which requires some travel between offices. You will report directly to the CEO, though day-to-day responsibilities require close collaboration with editors, other key managers, and staff writers.
Compensation, which includes salary, health benefits, vacation and a 401(k) plan, is commensurate with experience. The Center for Michigan/Bridge Magazine is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on Bridge, visit our homepage, the “About” section of our website, and our full coverage archive.