"The understanding of art depends finally upon one's willingness to extend one's humanity and one's knowledge of human life" -- Ralph Ellison, 20th century American author.
* The Downtown Development Authority in Kalamazoo is looking to cut off funding for a police officer for the downtown area because it needs money to repay a $700,000 loan. Bridge recently reported on the financial challenges of tax increment financing authorities around Michigan:
* "Despite being warned of major cracks in the line at least five years before the accident, the company (Enbridge) had done nothing.":
* The politics behind the upcoming electoral battle over Michigan’s emergency manager law:
* A cautionary – and frustrating – tale about the nature of bipartisanship on Capitol Hill, and in the country at large:
* The city of Saginaw’s general fund cash reserve is almost gone. With public safety work taking up about 2/3 of the city’s budget, cuts in those areas are expected: