"The more extensive a man's knowledge of what has been done, the greater will be his power of knowing what to do" -- Benjamin Disraeli, 19th century British prime minister, author and noted clothes horse.
* The New York Times Magazine visits Benton Harbor: "Between the almost-delusional optimism of those who support the redevelopment of Benton Harbor and the almost-paranoid mistrust of those who don’t, spending time in the town can be a profoundly disorienting experience.":
* Andy Buchsbaum of the National Wildlife Federation gives a regional perspective to what's happened around theGreat Lakesin 2011:
* A supporter of Gov. Rick Snyder warns him about adding his voice to the drive at the State Capitol to treat gay Michiganians as second-class citizens:
* A Florida school board member with three college degrees takes a version of a key student assessment test for high-schoolers -- and all but flunks. Find out why:
* The Michigan Board of Education advises the Legislature and governor to invest in universal pre-school for all 4-year-olds and mandated, preferably full-day, kindergarten, among other things: