Adjusted to 2014 dollars: The median U.S. household income in 2010 was $53,497, with families spending 31.5% of their income on public university ($16,855 sticker price, annually) or 72.5% on private university ($38,799 sticker price, annually).
Also in 2010...
- A 7.0-magnitude earthquake strikes Haiti, with a death toll over 316,000
- The Deepwater Horizon oil drilling platform explodes spilling 206 million gallons of oil in the Gulf on Mexico
- Researchers at CERN trap 38 antihydrogen atoms for a sixth of a second, marking the first time in history that humans have trapped antimatter
- The International Space Station surpasses the record for the longest continuous human occupation of space (3,641 days)
- Picasso's "Nude, Green Leaves and Bust" sells for $106.5 million at a Christie's
- All 33 Chilean miners trapped underground for over two months are pulled to safety
- "I Spy" and "Greatest American Hero" actor Robert Culp dies
- Facebook reaches 500 million users
- The Arab Spring begins
- Conan O'Brien leaves "The Tonight Show" after seven months
- 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' policy ban on homosexuals serving openly in the US military is repealed
- Best picture 2010: "Hurt Locker"
- #1 Song 2010: "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha
Pick a year: