"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there" -- Nobel-winning physicist Richard Feynman (1918-1988).
* I like the idea of paying car insurance by the mile, since my commute is less than 10 minutes. I don't like the idea of an insurance company sitting in my passenger seat wearing a "Big Brother" T-shirt:
* In coming weeks at Bridge, you will read about fellow Michiganians who have chosen careers in public service, diligently making the wheels of government turn without drawing any attention to themselves. Among the subjects, no doubt, will be some veteran legislative staffers -- a key position in a state that decided that experience was a horrible attribute to have in an elected official:
* The correct answer to this is: "It was a bad idea from the get-go.":
* This is a darn fine reason to do your retail shopping in Michigan, not Minnesota:
* Advocates for social service programs in Michigan are glum with cause these days; "Here in Michigan, more than 11,000 families received letters last week notifying them that in October they will lose the cash assistance they have been provided for years. Next year, people who lose their jobs here will receive fewer weeks of state unemployment benefits, and those making little enough to qualify for the state’s earned income tax credit will see a far smaller benefit from it."