Land O Links
"Knowledge must come through action; you can have no test which is not fanciful, save by trial" -- Sophocles, ancient Greek playwright.
* The Michigan Legislature considered a move into the private prison business this spring, with a proposal to shift prisoners from a state facility in Ionia to one in Baldwin owned by GEO Group. The idea was shelved. ProPublica rounds up some numbers on the GEO group, and the private prison industry in general:
* "Over the past 43 years, Michigan is the second fastest warming state in the country, according to a map from Climate Central, a nonprofit news and research organization that analyzes and reports on climate science. It used data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to make the comparison."
* Unseasonable weather takes a toll on Michigan festivals, too:
* Jack Lessenberry speaks powerful truth about Michigan's law on absentee ballots: Why do the elderly get a special voting privilege?
* A union chief in Detroit is advising that new cutbacks to the Fire Department there will lead to "disaster." The department's budget is taking a $23.5 million hit, but will still total $160 million for the coming fiscal year.
See what new members are saying about why they donated to Bridge Michigan:
- “In order for this information to be accurate and unbiased it must be underwritten by its readers, not by special interests.” - Larry S.
- “Not many other media sources report on the topics Bridge does.” - Susan B.
- “Your journalism is outstanding and rare these days.” - Mark S.
If you want to ensure the future of nonpartisan, nonprofit Michigan journalism, please become a member today. You, too, will be asked why you donated and maybe we'll feature your quote next time!